Monday, October 2, 2023

Taking Your Characters From One Book To A Series


Writing a series is not as easy as it sounds. I have my first cozy mystery up on Kindle Vella and Kindle e-books (I still need to set up the print version). It is titled Annie's Antiques and can be found here (Kindle Vella) and here (Kindle e-book). One down, five to go! 

The first book in the series places a relatively heavy focus on characters that will not be included in the series. It is based on action that takes place in the present but is based on the WWII era. The next book will be based in the protagonist's hometown of Fairfax, Virginia, and will build a solid foundation for the books to come. 

As an aside, while I tried to make each chapter (other than chapter one, which is free to read) 5,000 words, I was finding that a bit difficult to do, and I wasn't posting as often as I should have been. My next Kindle Vella books will be 1,000 words for the first (free) chapter and 2,500 words for each remaining chapter. As with my first book, it will go from Kindle Vella, then when it is finished to Kindle e-books and a print book.

I started out my journey on how to develop characters for a series on ChatGPT, which is a well-known AI app. One that I have had very good luck using for research purposes. I asked it how to develop characters from a single book into a series. Its first comment was that integrating characters from one book into a series was a great way to build continuity and a loyal readership. Then it gave me the following tips:

  • Be sure to develop multi-dimensional characters.
  • Plan character arcs (how each character's story evolves over the course of the series.
  • Maintain consistency with characters' personalities, traits, and backstory details.
  • Use character backstories to deepen their development.
  • Create subplots using characters from the first book.
  • Introduce new challenges and mysteries.
  • Showcase character growth.
  • Incorporate references to past events. Balance old and new characters,
  • Listen to readers feedback and reviews.
I found some interesting information when I was researching a photo to use with this blog: there are guides out there on creating a Kindle book series page on Amazon; turning book ideas into multiple books; that there are different types of book series; how to create a book series bundle and box set and more!

One step at a time. Starting on my second book in the Annie's Antiques series this weekend!

(c) October 2023 Bonnie Cehovet
Reproduction is prohibited without written permission from the author.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Chapters Or Short Chapters - What Is Your Preference?

Does it make a difference to a reader whether the chapters in a book are long or short? It does to me. I like shorter chapters, as they feed...