Tuesday, November 30, 2010

RIP NaNoWriMo

I want to begin by congratulating all of my fellow writers that made their 50,000 words or greater for NaNoWriMo. You have accomplished a tremendous goal, and I hope that many of you choose to publish your work.

I was sitting here this morning (very early morning!), looking at a 42,600 word count, and less than 24 hours to make it to 50,000. Willie Nelson came to my rescue - "Know When To Hold 'em, Know When To Fold 'em". I am folding, hopefully in a graceful manner. I knew exactly what I wanted to say, and how I wanted to say it. On the days that I could write, my characters took over the story and ran with it. They are to be applauded!

There were many more days when I distracted myself in any and all possible ways so that I did not have time to write. For keeping me sane, I want to thank my friend Ali. She posted this link, and I played the video over, and over, and over again. http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SUoY-bfweg&feature=player_embedded.

I am going to finish this book, and publish it (Create Space, here I come!) The first thing I am going to do is to take the time to go back over what is already written, and tighten it up. Then I will finish the story. Then I will do at least two edits/rewrites. Then I will outsource it to an editor that does this kind of thing for a living. Then I will get my baby out there.

One thing I know - writing full length fiction is much harder than full length non-fiction! Another thing I know is that I am glad t hat I started writing a Bible from the very beginning. There are too many details about characters, as well as settings, to keep straight in my mind. And time lines ... it is not easy to keep them straight. It just is not.

Will I do NaNoWriMo again next year? Yes, I will. Maybe I will even finish!

(c) November 2010 Bonnie Cehovet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Chapters Or Short Chapters - What Is Your Preference?

Does it make a difference to a reader whether the chapters in a book are long or short? It does to me. I like shorter chapters, as they feed...