Monday, November 15, 2010

Still In Shock!

Today NaNoWriMo reached it's half-way point. Looking around in shock ... I have more than half of the words necessary to "win", at 28,012. Do they make any sense? Some of them do, while others will need "a little help". I still don't have a crime (this is a mystery cozy), and my perpetrator refused to comply - he would rather be a "good guy". Another character wanted to be his wife, rather than his victim. The good thing is - they fit well into the story. ;-)

There will have to be a good deal of "after the fact" research, as I am placing my story in and around San Francisco, and I have never been to San Francisco. Much of the action will be taking place in a luxury spa - again, no first hand experience. I am making notes, so that before writing the sequel (this is meant to be the first in a series) I can experience what I am writing about. (Make note - need to win the lottery to foot this bill!)

Mentally, I am moving forward to putting this book in front of the public. By necessity it will be sent to a professional editor. And I will act on his/her suggestions. I am going to put this in the hands of professionals for submission in both print and e-book format to ... heck, to whoever will accept it!

Video trailer on my professional site (which will soon move to Word Press), with separate video trailer on You Tube. Research Internet radio shows to guest on, research blogs to wander through (wander through with intent!), send out promo copies for review.

Deep breathe - I can do this!

(c) November 2010 Bonnie Cehovet

2 comments:

  1. I'm having the same problem with uncooperative characters. My lead character hardly wants to talk at all, while a lesser character is totally hogging the limelight. She's steering me towards a gratuitous sex scene now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I am further along this year, but most years I'm playing catch up. It was a good thing I did get out in front a bit. The last two days I was editing the galleys for my new novel Dark Side of the Moon, which started it's existence as a nanonovel and I ended up getting a book contract. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Long Chapters Or Short Chapters - What Is Your Preference?

Does it make a difference to a reader whether the chapters in a book are long or short? It does to me. I like shorter chapters, as they feed...