1. What is the best way to gather material for writing? To live a full life, to stay in the present, to notice the people and the activity around you.
2. Read other writer's books. You have to know what is out there in order to write anything that is relevant.
3. Put your own shadows down on paper. They have a story to tell too.
4. Write about what you are passionate about - not just what you think will sell. Your passions will survive the test of time.
5. Write ... every day ... write.
6. Be willing to pay for an editor. 'nuff said!
7. Let your story flow ... allow it to tell itself. You will be surprised at how well stories that are allowed to be themselves turn out!
8. Edit your work carefully - spell-check is not perfect!
9. Look for repetitive phrases - they can be boring!
10. Ask for criticism ... then pay attention to it!
(c) January 2011 Bonnie Cehovet