Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Questions Writers Ask Themselves


What kind of questions do writers ask themselves? One that I have been debating for a while now is whether I want to have a separate site for my published books. For a long time now I have felt that I could combine it with my Tarot work and other writing into one site.

Up until now, that has worked for me. However, things change. I am at the point where I want to make a living from my writing. I have a blog (this one!), and a newsletter. Good start, I think. What do I want my author site to do for me? To attract readers, to keep them interested in my work, and to get them to buy my books. That site needs to be very specific, so yes, I need a separate site.

I immediately thought about the cost. Two sites doubles the cost. A no brainer, if I can get my author site to bring in book sales. My Tarot books will remain on my original site, but all other writing can easily be transferred to my new site. Then there is the issue of a theme - am I going to be willing to pay for a theme? In a word, yes. My site theme, and my newsletter, are ways of branding myself. 

I have also been looking at writing software. That is a must do, and Scrivner is my choice. Before I buy it, I need a new laptop. And a new printer. Okay, I can buy Scrivner and use my current printer, but I still need a new printer.

I am also looking at ways to promote my site and my books. Not looking forward to that. I also need to grow my newsletter, to support getting my writing out there. Lots of questions on how to do this. Very few answers, yet.   

(c) September 2018 Bonnie Cehovet
Reproduction prohibited 

1 comment:

  1. You're way ahead of me. LOL I'm still trying to decide how to go about getting an email list started.

    ReplyDelete

Long Chapters Or Short Chapters - What Is Your Preference?

Does it make a difference to a reader whether the chapters in a book are long or short? It does to me. I like shorter chapters, as they feed...