Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Sky Is Falling!

Incredible learning curve on book publishing! Sent my manuscript in, thought all was well with the Western world. Wrong! Oh, the manuscript is okay – waiting to be looked at after the spring books are put in place. This was to be expected. What was not expected was the little e-mail telling me that I was expected to have the graphic images handed in with my work, as I was primary on the contract.

This is a book (mine) and deck (someone else’s) venture. I am happy to be associated with this deck – the author/illustrator is a lovely lady, and the deck is phenomenal. I made the ultimate faux pas in assuming that we would hand things in separately. That “assume” word came back to bite me. It appears that all is (or soon will be) well. Our editor will send a template to the artist, she will get the deck scans in order, send them to me, and I will send them to our editor. Hopefully all of this works out. I am aging rapidly here!

I do have the outline for my next book done, so I will begin work on that book within the next week or so – if only to take my mind off the first book!

I had an interesting post in my e-mail this am, from author Joanna Penn (http://TheCreativePenn.com). It seems that Seth Grodin, best selling author of business oriented books, has made the decision to move away from print publishing to go directly to his reader public via his blog, videos, e-books and other digital media. This is a thought that I have been contemplating for a while now (as I am sure have many authors).

Joanna has a great video up explaining her thoughts on Grodin’s action. It can be seen here: http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2010/08/24/seth-godin-gives-up-on-traditional-publishing/.

Lots to think about here! Wishing you all a great writing week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bonnie, thanks so much for the mention and I'm glad the post gave you something to think about. I try to share everything I learn on the journey (as you are here!). It's just great there are so many options to authors now.
    Thanks, Joanna

    ReplyDelete

Long Chapters Or Short Chapters - What Is Your Preference?

Does it make a difference to a reader whether the chapters in a book are long or short? It does to me. I like shorter chapters, as they feed...