Monday, December 10, 2018

Publisher's Insurance? Who Needs It, and Why.

When I saw the headline "Publishers Insurance", the first thing that I did was scan the article to see if this is something I needed to consider as an independent publisher. From what I could tell at a glance, this insurance was for people establishing their own publishing companies. While I publish independently (through Kindle and KDP), I have not established my own publishing company.

I was interested to see why, if I do establish my own publishing company, I might need this insurance. Things to think about are copyright infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, and more. Policies that cover this are loosely termed "publisher policies". A little scary, isn't it! I mean, I write fiction, but I can still be sued. Changing a characters name or even sex doesn't really cover things if they are easily identifiable as a public figure (or even a well known private figure).

I don't even want to think about the cost - I haven't published that many books, and at this point it is questionable if paying for editing will even pay for itself. I am going to keep this in mind for future reference, as I do intend to continue writing books (albeit cozy mysteries), and publishing them.

However, if you make the decision to publish not only your own work, but that of others, I would seriously consider looking at these policies. The following is a small list of places that offer publishers policies:


The following articles address what to look for in publishing insurance policies:


(c) December 2018 Bonnie Cehovet
Reproduction prohibited without written permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Chapters Or Short Chapters - What Is Your Preference?

Does it make a difference to a reader whether the chapters in a book are long or short? It does to me. I like shorter chapters, as they feed...